This is our official list of the best water flossers on the market today. Scroll further down or click “More Info” for full details on each product.
- [star rating=”5″] Waterpik Aquarius Water Flosser WP-662
- [star rating=”4.5″] Rechargeable Oral Irrigator by ToiletTree Products
- [star rating=”4.5″] H2ofloss Quiet Design Countertop Dental Oral Irrigator
- [star rating=”4.5″] Waterpik Aquarius Water Flosser WP-660
- [star rating=”4″] Nicefeel Cordless Rechargeable 3-Mode Water Flosser
We know time is of the essence, so the above is a cheat sheet of what’s ahead, just in case your’re in a hurry. Otherwise, keep scrolling down for more detailed and constructive info on each item.
5 Highest Reviewed Water Flossing Products
Water flossers use a stream of water to dislodge food particles from teeth and gums. The Mayo Clinic states that dental floss is best for removing food from tight crevices between the teeth.
However, in an article from Registered Dental Hygienist Magazine entitled A selection of the top recommendations for water flossing, Carol Jahn, RDH, MS, includes the following reasons for recommending water flossers:
- A water flosser expels subgingival bacteria, an important cause of periodontal disease, from the pocket between the gum and the tooth better than brushing and rinsing.
- A water flosser is better at reducing bleeding gums and gingivitis than tooth brushing, a benefit to diabetics who are at particular risk for these issues. In a 3-month long study, diabetics who used a water flosser reduced bleeding by 44 percent more and gingivitis by 41 percent more than those who did not use a water flosser.
- Water flossers are safe for use with dental implants and are better for cleaning around orthodontic appliances such as braces. Study participants aged 11 through 17 reduced plaque three times better than those who brushed and flossed and five times better than those who only brushed.
Thus, a good water flosser will make an important contribution to dental health; and the five below more than meet the criteria. Check them out in more detail.
This model offers 10 water pressure settings, three Classic Jet Tips for general flossing, one Pik Pocket Tip for cleaning the pocket around the tooth, one Plaque Seeker Tip, one Orthodontic Tip, and one Toothbrush Tip. Controls on the handle turn the water on and off and switch between floss and massage modes. In Hydro-Pulse Massage Mode, pulse modulation technology stimulates the gums and enhances circulation.
Floss Mode maximizes plaque removal. The one-minute timer and 30-second pacer ensures that your teeth and gums receive the recommended 60 seconds of flossing. The covered, high-capacity reservoir contains a full 90-second supply of water. A covered storage area holds two extra tips.
- Offers floss and massage settings and 10 water pressure settings.
- Comes with tips for general flossing, plaque removal, pocket cleaning, and orthodontics.
- Built-in timer ensures teeth and gums receive the recommended 60-second flossing.
- Stored tips are difficult to access.
This updated flosser offers three operating modes — normal, soft, and pulse, and the control is easily accessed in the handle. It comes with two color-coded, interchangeable tips, and you can eject the tips with the push of a button.
The flosser operates on long-lasting, rechargeable lithium-ion batteries and can be charged on either 100V or 240V circuits for international travel. The easy-to-fill water tank is in the handle, adding portability. The flosser takes up little space on counter-tops or in luggage. The redesigned motor is 68 percent quieter than previous models. This flosser is BPA free and FDA approved.
- Offers three operating modes — normal, soft, and pulse.
- Includes two color-coded, interchangeable tips that can be ejected with the push of a button.
- Is compact in size for packing, and uses universal voltage for charging.
- Made a bit bulky by having reservoir in handle.
The H2ofloss Quiet Design flosser offers six water pressure settings ranging from five to 110 PSI. The water is set to 1,200 pulses per minute, which surveys indicate is the most comfortable frequency.
The pressure selection controls are conveniently located in the handle. The 12 professionally designed floss tips include jet tips, a periodontal tip, an orthodontic tip, and tongue and nasal tips. A tip ejector makes changing tips easy. Technology contained within the H2ofloss Quiet Design assures that it operates at no more than 50db.
- Includes 12 professionally designed tips including periodontal and orthodontic tips.
- Provides a comfortable pulse rate at 1,200 pulses per minute.
- Offers six water pressure settings ranging from five to 110 PSI.
- Stepped increases in water pressure are too large. More settings with smaller steps would help.
The Waterpik Aquarius WP-660 offers three color-coded general flossing tips, four special purpose tips, 10 pressure settings, and two floss-modes. Pulse Mode uses pulse-modulation technology for maximum plaque removal. Hydro-Pulse Massage Mode is designed to improve circulation and enhance gum stimulation.
The one-minute timer and 30-second pacer tell you when you have given your teeth and gums a complete water flossing. The covered reservoir in the base contains a 90-second supply of water, and the on/off switch located on the handle lets you turn the water on when you’re ready to floss. The reservoir connects to the flosser via a tube, so you need only manipulate the toothbrush-sized handle and tip when flossing.
- Includes seven tips, including four special purpose tips.
- Offers 10 pressure settings and two flossing modes with push-button floss mode switch in the handle.
- On/off water switch in the handle lets you control the water on as you floss.
- Lightweight base moves around on the counter during use.
This Nicefeel Cordless Flosser offers a one-touch control over three settings — soft, normal, and pulse. The nozzle rotates a full 360° to reach every area of your mouth, and the two interchangeable, color-coded tips, allow two people to use this flosser. The streamlined curve and thin body provides a small counter-top or suitcase footprint.
The rechargeable lithium ion battery lasts up to two weeks and can be charged from an outlet or a computer. Although this is a portable flosser that can switch voltages for international travel, it, nevertheless, has a high-capacity, 220-ml, easy-to-fill reservoir. It comes with a travel bag and a travel plug. This flosser is FDA approved and BPA free.
- Offers three settings — soft, normal, and pulse.
- Includes two interchangeable, color-coded tips for multiple users.
- Has a high-capacity, 220-ml, easy-to-fill reservoir.
- Weighs 1.1 pounds because the reservoir is in the handle.
For some people whose gums are extremely sensitive and prone to bleeding, water flossers are the best substitute for dental floss. Water flossers do reduce bleeding, as mentioned by Carol Jahn in her article from Registered Dental Hygienist Magazine.
For most people, however, dental floss remains best for removing food particles from between the teeth. Nevertheless, water flossers are better at cleaning the pocket around the tooth, and the increased circulation that gums receive from massage with water flossers does increase gum health. For the healthiest teeth and gums, add the best water flosser you can to your daily dental care routine.