This is our official list of the best vegetables gardening books on the market today. Scroll further down for full details on each product and an overview on books about vegetable gardening.
- 5.0 out of 5.0 stars Gardening: A Beginner’s Guide to Organic Vegetable Gardening
- 4.5 out of 5.0 stars Gardening: The Complete Guide to Vegetable Gardening for Beginners
- 4.5 out of 5.0 stars Gardening: Organic Vegetable Gardening Made Easy
- 4.5 out of 5.0 stars The Beginner’s Guide to Gardening: Basic Techniques
- 4.0 out of 5.0 stars Urban Gardening: How to Grow Food In Any City Apartment Or Yard
We know time is of the essence, so the above is a cheat sheet of what’s ahead, just in case your’re in a hurry. Otherwise, keep scrolling down for more detailed and constructive info on each item.
5 Highest Reviewed Books on Vegetable Gardening
Agriculture was one of the greatest skills that early humans learned. Our ancestors discovered how to harvest seed from the wild and grow their own food. Families were fed and nourished from their gardens for generations.
Clear up to the early part of the 20th century, fruits and vegetables were raised without genetic engineering or harmful pesticides. After World War II, commercial farming started using pesticides for most of their crops. An article from Natural News outlines the dangers of chemicals that are still being used on our produce in America.
Many families are returning to their agricultural roots by raising organic produce right in their own backyards. A majority of consumers are leery of the anemic produce that is stocked on the shelves of major supermarkets. The farm-to-table movement has a global appeal for those who want to eat healthier and ditch all the hazardous pesticides.
Whether families live on a farm or in a studio apartment, there are a plethora of excellent books for beginning gardeners. A quality gardening book for beginners should be written not only by authors who have experience, but also love to garden. People can learn how to plan a garden from planting to harvesting. It is an ideal hobby that can teach children about nature and good nutrition. Below are some good vegetables gardening books to consider.
For people who are tired of buying questionable produce at the grocery store, Simon Hamilton shares his insight on easy organic vegetable gardening. He compares a garden to a journey, and tells the readers that he will be with them every step of the way. The book breaks down vegetable gardening into easy instructions that will help and encourage beginners.
Hamilton teaches gardeners how to find the perfect location for their vegetable patch—no matter what size yard they have. He will explain the right tools for the job and which plants are best for beginner gardeners. The book gives advice for achieving healthy soil for sturdy plants. There are plenty of tips for novices, including the top organic veggies to grow and how to avoid common gardening mistakes.
- Book is available in paperback, e-book, or audiobook
- Several good tips and common avoidable gardening mistakes
- Wrote in a way for beginners to understand
- Book is brief and may not offer enough information about growing organically
Nancy Ross is an avid gardener who shares her advice about vegetables in this gardening primer. This guide is available in e-book or paperback. With only 32 pages, it is an easy read with a lot of pertinent information. Ross introduces readers to the joys of gardening, and how it can benefit their families and communities. She explains the essential tools for successful gardening, as well as the steps for garden planning.
There is a chapter about home gardening and gardening as a community effort. The Complete Guide advises readers of the best vegetables to grow in their area, and how to preserve their harvest. This book is written in a fun way that all readers can enjoy.
- Instructions are easy for beginners
- Short book that can be used as a quick reference
- Good information about vegetable preserving
- Too general to be considered a complete guide
Growing and eating organic produce is an exciting global trend. In his concise book about organic gardening, Ace McCloud gives readers the tools for successful growing. He explains how readers can plan, plant, and grow a verdant vegetable garden, even without a lot of space. People who are just starting to garden will enjoy the comprehensive list of necessary gardening supplies.
McCloud teaches readers how to choose the best seeds for their gardens, and the proper ways to harvest their bounty. He also recommends some of the best ways to get rid of garden pests and disease—without harmful chemicals. The book shares his compilation of gardening hacks for the ultimate garden, as well as a few amazing veggie recipes.
- Easy-to-understand instructions
- Ideal book for those who want to grow vegetables organically
- Gardening tips and good recipes
- An additional chapter about fruits would make the book even better
This gardening book can be purchased as an e-book or a paperback. Whether the readers are new to gardening or have done it for a long time, they will glean important information about gardening basics. The Beginner’s Guide covers garden design, soil preparation, plant selection, garden maintenance, and a host of other pointers.
There are superb illustrations and photographs to instruct readers about various types of plants and the conditions in which they will thrive. People can learn about herbs, vegetables, fruits, flowers, and shrubs. The book presents fresh ideas for specialty gardens.
- Available in paperback or e-book
- Most of the basics of gardening are presented in a user-friendly format
- Beautiful illustrations and photos
- Some experienced gardeners may want more in-depth information
For gardening enthusiasts who have limited space, this is an ideal primer for growing various kinds of plants. It has a lot of ideas and projects on how gardeners can start growing their own food, no matter the plot size.
Urban Gardening gives directions on how to plan a gardening site, and which plants are best for sunlight or shade. There is a unique section on various plants that are excellent for clearing carbon dioxide and airborne toxins out of an enclosed space.
The book contains a pictorial guide for plant varieties and the best containers for them. Urban Gardening can benefit the novice or seasoned gardener.
- Specialty advice for gardeners in small spaces
- Pictorial guide for plants and containers
- Good for gardeners of various skill levels
- Not a lot of new information is presented in this e-book
An article in Cooking Light says that home gardeners get fresher food and save money on their grocery bills. It gives people a great sense of satisfaction to care for a garden and provide fresh produce for their families and friends. Vegetables gardening books can explain the basics of gardening as well as all of its pleasures.