This is our official list of the best nail guns on the market today. Scroll further down for full details on each product.
5 Highest Reviewed Nail Guns for Home Improvement & Woodwork
A dependable, hard-working nail gun is one of the most important tools for the professional contractor, and DIY homeowners love them too. Also called a nailgun or nailer, this tool is used most often to attach framing pieces to one another or to fasten something to the framing such as sheathing, flooring, roofing material, siding or trim.
Most nail guns are driven by compressed air, but explosive gases are used in some models, usually when driving heavy-gauge fasteners into very hard material. The nails are attached to one another in coils or strips, and as one nail is fired, the next one is pulled into the chamber for use. Nail guns have been used on job sites in the United States since the 1950s and are so popular because they decrease construction time dramatically.
If you’re looking for a quality nailer you can rely on for professional or home use, this list of the best nail gun models gives you options for complete kits, framing and finish sets and a brad nailer for lighter work. You’ll find just the tools you need for the way you plan to use them.
This affordable WEN tool is the best nail gun for the money. While not built for heavy commercial work, it will serve you well for home remodeling and maintenance jobs. It is capable of firing nails up to 2”, and that’s suitable for all types of molding and even goes through 3/4” hardwood flooring.
The lightweight aluminum body weighs just three pounds and features a comfortable rubber grip that prevents slipping too. The magazine holds up to 100, enough to install the trim in a mid-size room.
- The kit includes two adjustment wrenches and machine oil to keep the WEN nailer operating smoothly.
- A contact trip tip ensures safe use by preventing the gun from firing if it is not in contact.
- The molded plastic carrying case provides rugged and attractive protection for the tool.
- Can be powered by a compressor as small as a 120-volt portable model.
- The clip spring is weak and might need to be replaced within a few years, depending on how heavily you use this brad nailer.
The NuMax 21-degree nail gun gets high ratings for performance that is both powerful and durable. Uses include framing, attaching flooring or sheathing, installing decking and putting up wood fencing.
You’ll enjoy a PSI range from 70-115, so you can adjust the power to the demands of the task at hand. This nailer features a dual-mode trigger to fire just one nail or consecutive nails. The anti-dry fire mechanism turns on automatically with five nails remaining to protect you and the tool. It’s just the bare tool, so you’ll need a hose and a compressor with a minimum 3-gallon tank.
- Air tool oil is included for maintaining the tool.
- 360-degree adjustable exhaust keeps it off your work and out of your face.
- Tool-free depth adjustment works smoothly with just a turn.
- The ergonomic grip keeps your hand comfortable even after hours of work.
- While a 3-gallon compressor is suitable for basic work, you’ll need something twice the size for rapid-fire nailing.
DEWALT has earned its reputation as one of the leading brands in the tool industry, and this 18-gauge brad nailer shows why. This is a homeowner-grade tool that DIY enthusiasts enjoy for projects like finish carpentry, paneling, wood fencing and hobbies.
It effortlessly drives nails to depths from 5/8” to 2”. The depth adjustment does not require a tool. A tool-free jam release allows you to remove stuck fasteners quickly.
- This brad nailer fits most DEWALT compressors and hoses.
- DEWALT quality and the warranties it backs its products with are excellent.
- The DWFP12231 Pneumatic is lighter than many nail guns in its class but also very durable.
- Trigger lock and contact trip help prevent accidents on the job.
- DEWALT tools, while boasting excellent quality, are more expensive than many in their class, so if you plan only light use for the tool, a more affordable nailer might suffice.
Here is a very handy three-tool kit that includes a dynamic 6-gallon, 150PSI pancake compressor designed to work with the three nailers, so high-powered, reliable performance is ensured.
The three nailers are a 16-gauge straight finish nailer for trim and siding, 18-gauge brad nailer for flooring, trim and other light jobs and a 3/8” crown nailer ideal for moldings, frames, craftwork and utility jobs around the house. This highly rated Bostitch nail gun kit with compressor features tools with depth adjustments that are easy to make, so you won’t drive fasteners through the material.
- The 15 feet of hose gives you room to roam before having to change the position of the compressor.
- Bostitch’s build quality is outstanding, so these tools will stand up to the rigors commercial work.
- The comprehensive warranty provides outstanding peace of mind.
- 360-degree exhaust and trigger lock improve safety and comfort.
- The kit lacks a framing nailer, so the Freeman kit above is a better choice if you don’t already have a framing gun.
The Freeman 4-piece nail gun set includes the tools you need for framing through to putting on the trim. It includes a beefy 21-degree full-head nailer for the heavy work, a 34-degree angle finish nailer that’s ideal for flooring when you don’t want the nails to show, an 18-gauge brad nailer for trim and an 18-gauge crown stapler for light work, hobbies and utility jobs.
- Extra replaceable tips and nail gun oil are included.
- These Freeman nail guns work well with most pancake-style air compressors.
- Freeman warranties are among the best in the industry.
- Buying the set saves you 40 percent over buying the tools separately.
- While the canvas bag looks good at the start, it will wear out before the nail guns do.
Which is the best nail gun or set? It depends on what tools you have and the projects you’ve got planned. These are all quality nail guns and sets, and the list includes just a framing nailer, just a finish nailer and sets with all the nail guns you’ll ever need.