This is our official list in search of the best hairspray for dry hair on the market today.
Highest Reviewed Hairsprays for Dry Hair Care
Many of the most popular hairstyles today require a little bit of hairspray to keep them looking neat, but women and men with dry fair face an extra obstacle when styling their hair. That’s because most hairsprays dry hair out, leaving it stressed, frizzy, and prone to damage. This is a special problem for hairsprays since they generally contain a large alcohol content and alcohol is very drying. Although alcohol is used in part because it evaporates quickly, that same rapid evaporation can cause a severe loss of moisture.
The best hairspray for dry hair must include something to add moisture and counteract the effects of the alcohol. These other ingredients, whether they be herbs, vitamins, oils, or silicones, can also help repair damage, minimize frizz, and even impart strength to hair. The ideal hairspray for any individual will vary depending on their needs and concerns.
Curly hair, fine hair, and color-damaged hair all have their own requirements. And different styles need different levels of control. Here are the five best hairsprays for dry hair, and each with its own advantages and strengths. Even the driest hair can look great with the right products.
For a truly luxurious experience, there’s Rene Furterer’s Vegetal Strong Hold Finishing Spray. Created by a Parisian stylist, Rene Furterer products were originally only available in salons. Now, this soft-hold spray with a lightly floral scent is available for all. This spray is not meant for stiff, solid styles or elaborate up-dos.
Instead, it provides a glossy finish and secures blow-outs for the whole day. It includes the unusual ingredient Cakile, or Mediterranean Sea Rocket, which hydrates, softens and adds shine without added chemicals. This hairspray is appropriate for all hair types but works best for dry hair.
- This hairspray will not leave any stickiness or flaking.
- The ingredients in this spray include the unique ingredient Cakile as well as Vitamin B5.
- This spray is silicone free, which prevents build-up and hair damage.
- This spray may not provide as firm of a hold as some women or men are looking for.
The Caviar Anti-Aging Working Hair Spray from Alterna is well-loved by women with dry hair looking for a dependable, high-quality hairspray. This formula dries extremely quickly, leaving smooth, soft hair with no stickiness or residue. This spray offers a medium to strong hold and is appropriate for all climates and most hair types.
It features three anti-aging ingredients that work to protect older, more fragile hair from environmental and styling damage. This spray is also formulated to work on chemically-treated hair, including straightened and permed hair, or even gray hair that has been bleached and dyed.
- A quick drying time prevents any wetness or stickiness.
- Anti-aging ingredients protect older hair from dryness and damage.
- This hairspray provides medium to strong hold, suitable for most hairstyles.
- This spray may not work well on fine hair.
For a lighter hold and extra moisture, consider Paul Mitchell Marula Oil, an exotic, hydrating hairspray from the famous salon brand. The cold-pressed marula oil in this spray add moisture, smoothes, and softens hair that is dry, coarse, or frizzy. This spray works on all hair types, colors, and textures, including color-damaged hair and very curly hair.
It smooths down split ends while lightly holding hair in place, and extra hold can be achieved by layering the spray. However, this is not the best choice for people with healthy hair who are looking for an extra-firm, stiff hold. Instead, it offers a light to medium hold and extra support for people who suffer from dry, coarse, or damaged hair.
- This light-hold hairspray keeps hair tamed without weighing it down.
- The oils in this hairspray help soften and protect dry and damaged hair.
- This spray also minimizes fizziness and soothes the hair follicles.
- The silicones in this product may lead to build-up and limp hair.
This environmentally friendly, high-end hairspray provides control and protection with natural ingredients. These ingredients include the organic essential oils lavender, bergamot, and palmarosa, which soften dry hair and provide a soothing scent. Aveda is a leader in ecologically sound products, and this spray contains no dangerous ingredients.
In fact, its manufacture and distribution are carbon-neutral, thanks to carbon offsets purchased by Aveda. Customers praise its strength, especially in hot and humid climates. Even when used in a large quantity to achieve a firm hold, this spray does not become sticky or flake off. This spray lasts for up to 24 hours and works well on all hair types, including curly hair.
- This product works well in humid environments.
- Aveda is an environmentally friendly company, and this spray is carbon-neutral.
- This hairspray provides strong hold for dry hair without stickiness or flakiness.
- Some people may not like the scent of this spray.
This classic, strong-hold hairspray has been on the market for over 20 years and has a loyal following. Although designed to hold firmly, this spray actually offers various levels of control, depending on how much is used. A light spray at the roots can be volumizing, while an allover spray will hold more securely, although this product may become sticky if too much is used.
More affordable than most comparable sprays, Vavoom Freezing Spray is a good option for traveling or everyday control. Sunblock in the spray also makes it a good choice for outdoors, although it is not waterproof.
- Vavoom Freezing Spray has been popular with customers and stylists for over 20 years.
- This spray contains a PABA-free sunscreen to protect hair from UV damage.
- This hairspray provides a strong hold, even for elaborate hairstyles.
- Hair may appear stiff and take some time to thoroughly dry.
Final Say on Hair Sprays for Dry Hair
Modern technology means that people no longer need to choice between controlling their hair and keeping it healthy. Whether exotic oils or modern silicones, the best hairspray for dry hair protects it while providing some styling power. In some cases, thanks to sunscreen, anti-aging chemicals, or healing vitamins, the hairspray may even leave hair better off. Now, there’s no reason to settle for a less-than-perfect style.