This is our official list in search of the best hair conditioners for on the market today. Whether you have fine natural hair, or your hair tends to dry up, or maybe you’re looking for a quality deep conditioner to put to the test; below you’ll find a carefully curated selections of the top products we’ve found. Some of the brands you may recognize and some may be new to you, but all have been attested to by thousands of happy customers.
Check out the below selections and choose the right conditioner for your hair nourishment!
- It’s a 10 Miracle Leave-In Product
- Paul Mitchell – Awapuhi Wild Ginger
- Aveeno Nourish+ Volumize Conditioner
- Suave Professionals Conditioner
- Paul Mitchell Super-Charged
- Pureology Hydrate Conditioner
- DevaCurl One Condition Decadence
- Bumble & Bumble Rich Conditioner
- Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus
- Redken All Soft Super Treatment
- Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner
- Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair Mask
- Moroccanoil Intense Hydrating Mask
- Kerastase Nutritive Anti-Frizz Masque
- Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep
We know time is of the essence, so the above is a cheat sheet of what’s ahead, just in case your’re in a hurry. Otherwise, keep scrolling down for more detailed and constructive info on each item.
Choosing the right conditioner for normal hair comes down to finding a formula that is lightweight and will not weigh hair down, contains ingredients to nourish the hair and keep it healthy, and features the perfect dose of hydration.
Conditioners are specially formulated with moisturizing ingredients and sealing agents to smooth the cuticle after shampooing. Even if your hair is normal and healthy, the correct conditioner can lead to even shinier, smoother, and more resilient strands. Read on for an overview of 5 of the top conditioners for normal hair as well as key features and pros and cons of each.
It’s a 10 Miracle Leave-In Conditioner features a lightweight, spray-on formula that nourishes hair and delivers an intoxicating scent. As with other “It’s a 10” products, the formula delivers 10 impressive benefits instantly – helps repair dry and damaged hair, boosts shine, detangles, controls frizz, seals and preserves hair color, prevents split ends, reduces hair breakage, creates silkiness, enhances natural body, and provides thermal protection against flat irons and blow dryers.
The creamy, best-selling spray is formulated with nourishing ingredients such as panthenol – an effective strengthener, sunflower seed extract – a natural UV protectant that guards against color fade and brassy tones, green tea leaf extract – packed with antioxidants to shield hair from environmental assaults, silk amino acids – restores moisture, strength, and shine, and Vitamin C – a powerful antioxidant that preserves hair’s beauty.
- Features a vast array of benefits as well as over two thousand 5 star reviews – the highest number of any of the formulas on our list
- Fortified with natural ingredients
- Works to increase hairs luster and manageability
- Leads to healthier hair with every use
- Although most users enjoy the scent, some find it to be overwhelming
Paul Mitchell’s Awapuhi Wild Ginger Keratin Cream Rinse makes an excellent conditioner for normal hair as well as a variety of other hair types.
Formulated with an exclusive blend of 3 proteins, KeraTriplex, the cream penetrates strands to heal damage within the hair shaft, seal the cuticle, and revive dull strands. The color-safe, pleasantly scented formula features awapuhi extract to deliver a balanced dose of moisture and an increase manageability and shine.
Additional beneficial ingredients in the award winning conditioner include cetyl alcohol – a fatty alcohol that serves as a conditioning agent, keratin – to repair dry strands), and behentrimonium methosulfate – a detangling, smoothing agent.
- Highly reviewed, most of which are 5 star ratings
- Free of sulfates
- Luxurious, creamy, rich formula
- Instantly de-tangles for increased manageability and smoothness
- Fairly pricey in comparison to the amount of product you get per bottle
Aveeno’s Nourish and Volumize Conditioner features an exclusive Active Naturals Nourishing Wheat Complex – a blend of wheat protein and wheat germ oil – that fortifies the weakest parts of the hair shaft to restore healthy shine, smoothness, and strength. Other notable ingredients in the formula include Nymphaea Coerulea Flower Extract and Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil.
A clinical trial found that 88% of women who used the Nourish and Volumize system experienced a noticeable improvement in the elasticity of their hair and 87% found their hair was softer.
- Helps boost fullness and add body
- Clinically proven
- Intensely softens and adds shine
- Scientific studies show that just 3 uses bring moisture and life back to hair
- A very small percentage of users reported their hair felt more dry and brittle after use
Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion Smoothing Conditioner utilizes Keralock technology to help properly seal the cuticle from the outside in order to prevent frizz. The formula helps hair repel humidity and remain fresh and supple throughout the day.
The formula aims to replace lost keratin – an essential protein and crucial component of strands – in hair to keep it smooth and help boost shine. With impressive smoothing capabilities, a low price, and a smell users love, this conditioner earned a well-deserved spot on our list.
- Most affordably priced option of all the products featured on the list
- Gentle on hair
- Perfect for all hair types from normal to oily and specifically designed for frizzy, damaged, unruly, and unmanageable hair
- Formulated to keep frizz at bay for up to 48 hours
- Contains the highest percentage of critical reviews on the list
Finally, the top 5 list of conditioners for normal hair concludes with Paul Mitchell’s Super-Charged Moisturizer. The indulgent formula contains the finest, highest-quality ingredients and activated moisture and shine blends to contribute to healthier, shinier, stronger hair.
Packed with beneficial ingredients such as soy protein, Vitamin E, rosemary, panthenol, wheat germ, and algae, the formula effectively delivers moisture and nutrients to the hair shaft in order to improve elasticity, rescue dehydrated hair, and boost shine.
- Suitable for all hair types including dry, normal, damaged, and thick
- Delivers intense moisture and hydration to keep strands in top condition
- Full of top quality ingredients and valuable extracts
- Thick, creamy, luxurious formula
- Paul Mitchell’s Super Charged Moisturizer is the most expensive item on the list
Most women, especially those experiencing dry hair, are constantly searching for the right hair product to help them achieve long, luscious, healthy strands. With the right product, adequate moisture and shine can be added back to brittle, parched hair. The market is overloaded with hundreds of products claiming to moisturize and nourish dry hair and it can be overwhelming to choose from all the options.
Fortunately, by using the list of the top conditioners for dry hair, the search for the appropriate product for your hair will be less of a hassle. Read on to see an overview of five options to consider as the best conditioner for dry hair as well as their pros and cons and key features.
Packed with beneficial ingredients such as shea butter, natural plant extracts, peppermint, aromatic oils, sage, and rosemary, Pureology’s conditioner makes an excellent choice to finalize our list.
The formula – sulfate and cruelty free – nourishes dry strands and preserves color treated hair with its specially designed AntiFade Complex. Advanced technology protects hair from damaging UV rays from the sun while soy, oat, and wheat proteins add strength. The concentrated formula reveals lustrous strands, minimizes static, and effectively hydrates hair without weighing it down.
- Contains the highest number of overall reviews on our list as well as the highest amount of 5 star reviews.
- 100% vegan ingredients.
- Contains advanced repairing micro-emulsion technology to strengthen hair from the inside out.
- Pleasant, mild, refreshing scent from a signature aromatherapy blend.
- Pureology’s Conditioner is the highest priced option on our list (although it is also a generous sized bottle at 33.8 ounces so the price per ounce is fairly reasonable).
A well-known brand among curly haired girls, DevaCurl’s One Condition Decadence Ultra Moisturizing Milk Conditioner is a top pick for adding much-needed moisture to curly hair – notorious for being dry and difficult to manage.
The formula is loaded with a variety of key ingredients including olive oil to provide shine and moisture and quinoa protein to strengthen, protect, condition, and boost shine. Another beneficial ingredient, chufa milk – also known as tiger nut milk, is rich in vitamins and minerals that nourish and revitalize hair. If needed, a little bit of the formula can be left in hair as a leave-in conditioner.
- Free of sulfates, parabens, and silicones.
- Contains key ingredients such as olive oil, chufa milk, and quinoa protein.
- Leaves curls silky and soft and easy to detangle.
- Also contains a variety of beneficial extracts.
- Some users do not care for the smell of DevaCurl’s conditioner.
Bumble and Bumble Super Rich Conditioner features advanced conditioning agents to detangle hair, increase elasticity, boost shine, and preserve moisture. The color-safe, hydrating formula effectively nourishes dry strands and helps contribute to healthier, shiner hair overall.
The formula features three key ingredients: Cetearyl Alcohol – for added lubrication and moisture, Cetrimonium Chloride – to detangle, add softness, and reduce static, and Dimethicone – to add glossiness and contribute to smoothness.
- Ideal for all hair types especially chemically treated, stressed, unruly, coarse, parched types.
- Suitable for daily use.
- Light, floral scent.
- Lightweight formula will not weigh hair down.
- Bumble and Bumble’s formula is the highest price per ounce out of all the featured conditioners.
Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Shine Conditioner is an ultra-rich formula created to tame thick, unruly hair, reduce breakage, and add extra body and healthy shine. The cruelty-free formula is also free from sulfates. The creamy formula, specifically designed for course hair, contains silk proteins and neem oil to contribute to healthy, shiny strands.
The formula boasts a wide range of other beneficial, natural ingredients including shea butter, coconut oil, avocado oil, aloe extract, essential oils, silk proteins, Vitamin E, Vitamin B-5, Hibiscus flower extract, carrot seed oil, and more.
- Contains certified organic, natural ingredients.
- Safe for all ages and hair types including color treated, curly, unruly, and damaged.
- Also safe for a variety of hair textures including dry, oily, and fine.
- Pleasant, subtle, gentle scent.
- The rich, thick formula may be too heavy for certain hair types.
Redken All Soft Heavy Cream Super Treatment is highly rated and well known for delivering intense moisture and hydration to dry, brittle hair. The rich, luxurious cream is designed to strengthen strands, increase shine, and repair damage.
Formulated with argan oil – a powerful moisturizing oil full of benefits such as adding moisture and softness – and a specifically designed interlock protein network to add strength. This mask can be used as a daily treatment or once a week for a deep treatment.
- Creates intense softness.
- Helps control frizz and boost shine.
- Increases manageability and movement.
- Safe for all types of hair – even color treated.
- Critical reviews state that Redken All Soft Super Cream only works slightly better than regular conditioner.
An astounding estimate of 85 percent of hair care products contain parabens, a cosmetic preservative that has been discovered in breast tumors, posing a cancer risk even in small amounts according to a recent study reported by webmd.com. To add to this cancer scare, phthalates – another common ingredient in beauty products – has recently been associated with breast cancer based on a study involving Mexican women.
As research scientists give this heads up to the public, the demand for organic/natural hair care products steadily rises. With the further potential danger of causing over-processed, dry/brittle, dull, limp, and split-end hair, heat-styled and chemically-processed hair are no longer the status quo.
Now women, in particular, are adopting a minimalist spirit of embracing healthy, natural hair that is hydrated, soft, smooth, shiny, strong, resilient, and full of body. This hair goal brings forth the question of: What is the best deep conditioner for natural hair?
This conditioner has the power to intensely hydrate, detangle, soften, and even grow hair according to customer reviews and works for various hair types by transforming damaged, over-processed, color-treated, dry, or brittle hair.
The directions are as simple as massaging throughout the hair and leaving in for five minutes if rinsing it out and/or applying a dime-size amount if leaving it in.
This product is infused with many natural ingredients including shea butter, coconut oil, sea kelp, avocado oil, carrot seed oil, honey suckle flower extract, argan oil, vitamin B-5, and vitamin E.
- Successfully created and tested by a family in Sierra Leone for four generations
- Sustainable and safe natural ingredients (does not contain sulfates or silicones)
- Amazing scent
- Users with finer hair texture have noted the need to have to rinse out the product really well to prevent a weighed-down effect.
This mask aims to replenish hydration, produce shine, and guard against future damage. It works for a multitude of hair types including curly, straight, wavy, and tightly coiled and improves hair that is over processed, dehydrated, and dull. It is to be applied after shampooing once or twice every two weeks.
Depending on the specific needs of one’s hair, this mask can be left in for five to ten minutes or 30 minutes under a hair dryer before rinsing. This product contains 95 percent natural ingredients including argan oil, rosehip oil, collagen, silk, algae extract, avocado oil, almond oil, lemon peel oil, orange peel oil, tangerine peel oil, algae extract, B-vitamins.
- Contains safe and natural ingredients. Does not contain the harmful ingredients of parabens, sulfates, phthalates, silicone, DEA, or artificial dyes.
- Has proven research to back up its ability to improves hair. According to sephora.com, 81 percent of participants in a laboratory study experienced a decrease in hair breakage after three uses.
- In another study, 80 percent of women witnessed refined moisture with the use of this product.
Works on any hair type
- Several product reviewers felt that the cost for an 8 oz bottle is pricey
This mask has the magic of providing extreme hydration, strengthening hair, eliminating dandruff, and adding shine. It can be used once or twice per week after shampooing by combing in the mask and leaving in for five to seven minutes before rinsing. It is suitable for medium-to-thick hair that is particularly dry, chemically treated or color treated.
Ingredients in this product include the following: argan oil, linseed (flaxseed) extract (loaded with Omega-3, fatty acids, and vitamin E), glycerin, citric acid, and Cetyl alcohol. It does not contain the harmful ingredient of phthalates.
- Works quickly in five to seven minutes with lasting softness
- Great scent
- Extreme hydration without waxy buildup
- Winner of a 2015 Reader’s Choice Award
- Pricey for the amount received
This masque has been found to soften, shine, detangle, de-frizz, strengthen, and hydrate dry, thick, curly, and wavy hair. It is safe to use daily on towel-dried hair by applying one or two pinches and leaving in for five to ten minutes.
This product’s most noteworthy ingredients include potato starch (fights hair loss and adds pigment to gray hair), Shorea robusta seed butter (from Sal tree in India), and palm oil (loaded with vitamin E that reduces hair loss and graying).
- Leaves hair feeling silky and soft
- A pinch-size amount does a lot in enhancing hair
- Not tested on animals
- Hard to find at local retailers
This deep conditioner for natural hair serves the purpose of softening, smoothing, moisturizing, strengthening, and detangling hair that is curly, frizzy, wavy, coarse, as well as dry, over processed, bleached, and split. The directions involve applying to wet hair, especially the ends, and rinsing thoroughly after one minute.
The natural ingredients that it contains include the following: sweet almond oil (for hair’s outer layer protection; contains vitamins A, B1, B6, and E), olive oil (for hair’s core layer protection), and Meadowfoam (combats hair loss and dandruff by helping hair to stay hydrated).
- Affordable with prices between $4.00 to $7.00
- Salon endorsed
- Lovely, mild scent, which is especially a plus to people with allergies or skin sensitivity
- The thin plastic tube container has been known to split open if mashed or dropped.
Final Say on Conditioners for Normal Hair
Overall, it is important to consider a variety of products and features when choosing the appropriate conditioner for your hair. What conditioner do you currently use? Let us know if you try any of the options from the top five list and what you think.
Final Say on Conditioners for Dry Hair
Finding the best conditioner for dry hair does not need to feel overwhelming or time consuming. Consider trying one of our top five choices and let us know what you think!
Final Say on Deep Conditioners for Natural Hair
The main takeaway is that this is a new era that is all about an expansion in hair care options with a focus on products that are healthy and natural. Quality deep conditioning treatments definitely facilitate the transition from the detrimental effects of excessive heat-styled and chemically-altered hair to the rejuvenation of natural curls, waves, coils, and thick hair.
As outlined above, when searching for the best deep conditioner for natural hair, there is something for everyone of all hair conditions and budgets.
Goodman, Brenda, MA. (2015, October 27.)”FAQ: Parabens and Breast Cancer.”