This is our official list in search of the best deep conditioner for natural hair on the market today. Scroll further down for full details on each product and to learn more about deep conditioners.
- Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner
- Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair Deep Conditioning Mask
- Moroccanoil Intense Hydrating Mask
- Kerastase Nutritive Oleo-Relax Anti-Frizz Masque
- Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner
We know time is of the essence, so the above is a cheat sheet of what’s ahead, just in case your’re in a hurry. Otherwise, keep scrolling down for more detailed and constructive info on each item.
5 Highest Reviewed Deep Conditioners for Natural Hair
An astounding estimate of 85 percent of hair care products contain parabens, a cosmetic preservative that has been discovered in breast tumors, posing a cancer risk even in small amounts according to a recent study reported by webmd.com. To add to this cancer scare, phthalates – another common ingredient in beauty products – has recently been associated with breast cancer based on a study involving Mexican women.
As research scientists give this heads up to the public, the demand for organic/natural hair care products steadily rises. With the further potential danger of causing over-processed, dry/brittle, dull, limp, and split-end hair, heat-styled and chemically-processed hair are no longer the status quo.
Now women, in particular, are adopting a minimalist spirit of embracing healthy, natural hair that is hydrated, soft, smooth, shiny, strong, resilient, and full of body. This hair goal brings forth the question of: What is the best deep conditioner for natural hair?
This conditioner has the power to intensely hydrate, detangle, soften, and even grow hair according to customer reviews and works for various hair types by transforming damaged, over-processed, color-treated, dry, or brittle hair.
The directions are as simple as massaging throughout the hair and leaving in for five minutes if rinsing it out and/or applying a dime-size amount if leaving it in.
This product is infused with many natural ingredients including shea butter, coconut oil, sea kelp, avocado oil, carrot seed oil, honey suckle flower extract, argan oil, vitamin B-5, and vitamin E.
- Successfully created and tested by a family in Sierra Leone for four generations
- Sustainable and safe natural ingredients (does not contain sulfates or silicones)
- Amazing scent
- Users with finer hair texture have noted the need to have to rinse out the product really well to prevent a weighed-down effect.
This mask aims to replenish hydration, produce shine, and guard against future damage. It works for a multitude of hair types including curly, straight, wavy, and tightly coiled and improves hair that is over processed, dehydrated, and dull. It is to be applied after shampooing once or twice every two weeks.
Depending on the specific needs of one’s hair, this mask can be left in for five to ten minutes or 30 minutes under a hair dryer before rinsing. This product contains 95 percent natural ingredients including argan oil, rosehip oil, collagen, silk, algae extract, avocado oil, almond oil, lemon peel oil, orange peel oil, tangerine peel oil, algae extract, B-vitamins.
- Contains safe and natural ingredients. Does not contain the harmful ingredients of parabens, sulfates, phthalates, silicone, DEA, or artificial dyes.
- Has proven research to back up its ability to improves hair. According to sephora.com, 81 percent of participants in a laboratory study experienced a decrease in hair breakage after three uses.
- In another study, 80 percent of women witnessed refined moisture with the use of this product.
Works on any hair type
- Several product reviewers felt that the cost for an 8 oz bottle is pricey
This mask has the magic of providing extreme hydration, strengthening hair, eliminating dandruff, and adding shine. It can be used once or twice per week after shampooing by combing in the mask and leaving in for five to seven minutes before rinsing. It is suitable for medium-to-thick hair that is particularly dry, chemically treated or color treated.
Ingredients in this product include the following: argan oil, linseed (flaxseed) extract (loaded with Omega-3, fatty acids, and vitamin E), glycerin, citric acid, and Cetyl alcohol. It does not contain the harmful ingredient of phthalates.
- Works quickly in five to seven minutes with lasting softness
- Great scent
- Extreme hydration without waxy buildup
- Winner of a 2015 Reader’s Choice Award
- Pricey for the amount received
This masque has been found to soften, shine, detangle, de-frizz, strengthen, and hydrate dry, thick, curly, and wavy hair. It is safe to use daily on towel-dried hair by applying one or two pinches and leaving in for five to ten minutes.
This product’s most noteworthy ingredients include potato starch (fights hair loss and adds pigment to gray hair), Shorea robusta seed butter (from Sal tree in India), and palm oil (loaded with vitamin E that reduces hair loss and graying).
- Leaves hair feeling silky and soft
- A pinch-size amount does a lot in enhancing hair
- Not tested on animals
- Hard to find at local retailers
This deep conditioner for natural hair serves the purpose of softening, smoothing, moisturizing, strengthening, and detangling hair that is curly, frizzy, wavy, coarse, as well as dry, over processed, bleached, and split. The directions involve applying to wet hair, especially the ends, and rinsing thoroughly after one minute.
The natural ingredients that it contains include the following: sweet almond oil (for hair’s outer layer protection; contains vitamins A, B1, B6, and E), olive oil (for hair’s core layer protection), and Meadowfoam (combats hair loss and dandruff by helping hair to stay hydrated).
- Affordable with prices between $4.00 to $7.00
- Salon endorsed
- Lovely, mild scent, which is especially a plus to people with allergies or skin sensitivity
- The thin plastic tube container has been known to split open if mashed or dropped.
The main takeaway is that this is a new era that is all about an expansion in hair care options with a focus on products that are healthy and natural. Quality deep conditioning treatments definitely facilitate the transition from the detrimental effects of excessive heat-styled and chemically-altered hair to the rejuvenation of natural curls, waves, coils, and thick hair.
As outlined above, when searching for the best deep conditioner for natural hair, there is something for everyone of all hair conditions and budgets.
Goodman, Brenda, MA. (2015, October 27.)”FAQ: Parabens and Breast Cancer.”