This is our official list of the best cordless tillers & cultivators on the market today
Highest Reviewed Cordless Tillers & Cultivators
Tilling the ground in preparation for planting has long been viewed as one of the most difficult, back-breaking chores in existence. Fortunately, the invention of the cordless tiller and cultivator made this task far easier and also faster.
Advantages of using a cordless cultivator and tiller include:
- No pull cord and no cords to trip over or get shredded
- No gas or oil to deal with
- No limitations from cords allows for increased portability
- Perfect for anyone unable to handle the labor-intensive process of using hand tools such as shovels, spades, or manual cultivators
Read on to learn more about the top five cordless tillers including key features and pros and cons of each.
An iconic name in the world of tools and equipment, the Black + Decker LGC120 Cordless Garden Cultivator and Tiller is ideal for cultivating garden and landscape beds, weeding, and preparing dry spots in the lawn for seeding. It easily and effectively breaks apart soil to help water and nutrients reach plant roots.
This tiller is run with a 20-volt MAX lithium-ion battery that offers a long-lasting lifespan capable of cultivating up to 325 square feet per charge. The included charger is powerful enough to charge a fully depleted battery in around 8 hours.
The machine also boasts convenient features such as a telescoping shaft that easily adjusts to the appropriate length, comfortable grips, an adjustable handle, and counter-oscillating tines that prevent weeds from getting tangled.
- Boasts the lowest price out of all the tillers listed
- Lightweight (only 8.1 pounds) design helps reduce arm fatigue during use and increase overall manageability
- Energy star rated
- Offers a 2-year limited warranty
- Some users suggest it only for smaller jobs
The Sun Joe iON12TL Cordless Cultivator and Tiller is designed with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery system for almost 30 minutes of barely audible runtime. The machine also boasts zero carbon emissions to ensure cleaner, healthier air.
Built with 4 angled steel tilling blades, the Sun Joe is capable of quickly cultivating an area up to 12-inches wide and 8 inches deep in a matter of seconds. The powerful motor and strong blades make quick work of compact soil or areas overrun with weeds.
- Features a powerful, efficient brushless motor that operates up to 300 RPM for quickly and effectively breaking down and aerating the soil
- Collapsible handle allows for easy, space-efficient storage
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- 3-position, height adjustable rear for easy maneuvering and manageability
- Some users express a desire for better design
The SCOTTS SYNC System S20710 Cordless Lithium-Ion Cultivator features an innovative charging station that enables the user to charge the battery directly on the tool or alone like on a traditional charger.
Featuring dual oscillating tines with a depth of 4 inches and a width of 7.5 inches, a comfortable, lightweight design, and an extendable shaft that accommodates varying user heights, the SCOTTS SYNC system cultivator allows work to get done faster and more effectively.
- Features a wall mounting charger that also serves as a convenient hanger for the tool
- Powerful 20V 2.0 Amp hour battery that users report allows for approximately 45 minutes to an hour of runtime
- Comfortable design weighs less than 8 pounds
- Includes an impressive 3-year warranty
- None that stick out
The Ryobi P2700A ONE + 18V Cordless Cultivator features a 7.5 inch tilling width and 4 inch tilling depth perfect for small gardens and flower beds. Users praise the 8.5 pound machine for its lightweight, easy-to-use design, versatility, powerful 18 V battery, and ability to fit into small spaces.
- Features a telescoping shaft for increased user comfort
- Compatible with all ONE tools and batteries
- Comes with a 3 year warranty
- Features dual oscillating tines
- The Ryobi cultivator does not include a battery or charger and some users complain it is not as powerful as they would prefer
The Mantis Tiller 7920, featuring sure-grip handles and a premium 2-cycle engine, is easy to start, easy to carry, quiet during use, and reliable. At 20 pounds, it is one of the lightest options in terms of small tillers but still offers heavyweight performance typical of a full-size rototiller. It features an innovative transmission and engine-over-tine design.
The unique curved tines, capable of tilling a full 10 inches deep, are guaranteed for a lifetime against breakage. The machine also features adjustable speeds that allow for more power when needed or more gentle tilling depending on the situation.
- Boasts the highest number of overall reviews and also the highest number of 5-star reviews out of any machines listed
- Lightweight, compact design allows for comfortable use while still offering heavyweight performance
- Folding handle bars allow for convenient storage
- Soft, comfortable, ergonomically designed handles
- Some users express that the machine is a bit too heavy for them.
Final Say on Cordless Tillers
All in all, if working up the soil or managing weeds has become too difficult for you but you are unable to operate a full-size rototiller, consider one of the tiller options mentioned above. Let us know if you have ever tried a cordless tiller and if you have any additional brands you would recommend.