This is our official list in search of the best charcoal grills on the market today. Scroll further down for full details on each product and information on grilling with charcoal.
- Weber 741001 Charcoal Grill
- Char-Griller 2-2424 Table Top Charcoal Grill
- Char-Griller 2137 Outlaw Charcoal Grill
- Dyna-Glo DGN576DNC-D Premium Charcoal Grill
- Char-Broil Charcoal Grill
We know time is of the essence, so the above is a cheat sheet of what’s ahead, just in case you’re in a hurry. Otherwise, keep scrolling down for more detailed and constructive info on each item.
5 Highest Reviewed Charcoal Grills to Consider
Well into the information age, certain turn-of-the-century debates continue to rage on, like which is better when it comes to grills: charcoal or gas? While charcoal grills may not be as quick and convenient as gas grills, they continue to be a popular choice amongst food purists and grilling enthusiasts. The most primary advantage is that they create actual smoke which adds a delicious taste to your food you just can’t get with a gas grill.
Charcoal grills have even gone green, with a number of great alternatives to traditional charcoal briquettes, which may contain dangerous toxins that can contaminate your food. Modern briquettes, however, are made of a number of different ingredients – like coconut shells – that is not only better for you and the environment, but even add a delicious hint of flavor to your food.
For those that land staunchly on the charcoal grill side of the debate, here are 5 of this summer’s hottest and best charcoal grills.
For those that love the old classics, the basic standards and the age-old tried and true, there is the Weber 741001 Original Kettle 22-Inch Charcoal Grill. This is the grill that your father and grandfather grilled on and to this day, it still remains one of the best charcoal grills on the market.
If one of your first images of true manhood was your father standing over an old dome-shaped Weber Kettle Grill, charring steaks to perfection, then you will love this standard classic in a shiny new finish.
Two wheels allow you to roll it away from the house when lighting her up and rolling her back under a protective patio cover when you are done. A single ash pan catches loose ash as it falls. Dump it out occasionally, scrub the grill grate and you’re good to go – no fuss, no muss.
- Tried and true standard classic
- No-fuss, no muss, no dials, gadgets or goo-gaws
- Simple use and easy to clean
- Lacking some of the modern features of 21st-century charcoal grills
For those that don’t need a giant grill for large gatherings, there is the Char-Griller 2-2424 Table Top Charcoal Grill. Not only will you use less charcoal than with a full-size grill, but the Char-Griller Table Top Charcoal Grill also doubles as a Texas-style smoker.
Heavy steel construction and cast iron cooking grates mean you can pass on both your skills and your grill to your kids and grandkids. Small and portable, you can take it to the park or beach for a picnic and still get 250 square inches of useable cooking space.
- Heavy-duty, yet still portable
- Doubles as a smoker
- Great design makes it both a useful and attractive addition to outdoor living spaces
- Not good for large parties or when you have a number of different types of food to cook
For those that like to have Texas-sized BBQ’s the old fashioned way, there is the Char-Griller 2137 Outlaw Charcoal Grill. Featuring the same great design as the Char-Griller Table Top Charcoal Grill (which can actually be attached to the Outlaw Charcoal Grill and used as a side firebox) but with a much larger cooking area, the Outlaw Charcoal Grill is a great addition to outdoor spaces with a more traditional look and feel.
Like the Char-Griller Table Top grill, the Outlaw also doubles as a smoker and features heavy-gauge steel construction for years of use, cast iron grates that provide even heat and lock in flavor, and an airtight flanged hood with a heat gauge. The Outlaw offers a whopping 1065 square inches of total cooking area, which is divided into a 725 square inch main grill area and a 340 square inch warming rack.
- Heavy-duty construction will last for years
- Included rolling cart offers small front and side wooden prep areas
- Adjustable fire grate for easy heat control and clean up
- Giant size may not be right for everyone
If you’re looking for a classic charcoal grill with a slightly more modern flair then this is the grill for you. Composed of a flat black body, with stainless steel hardware and accessories, this grill is as stylish as it is functional. The Dyna-Glo Premium Charcoal Grill features a charcoal basket adjustable tray system, which gives you ultimate control over precise heating and a front access door for adding more charcoal.
3 heavy-duty cast-iron grates covered in porcelain enamel sear foods to perfection and lock natural juices in tight. Heavy-duty wheels and locking casters on the grill cart provide both security and maneuverability and a storage basket, side shelves and a bottle opener provide everything you need to prep, store utensils, and enjoy a cold one while you are cooking.
- Stylish features make it a great addition to any backyard
- Giant grilling space for large parties
- Heavy-duty design and more advanced features than many charcoal grills make it great for grilling gourmands
- Priced at around $200, it’s one of the more expensive charcoal grills on the market
For those that want a slightly smaller grill – but not as small as a tabletop grill – while still offering great features and functionality as well as a slightly more modern design at a moderate price, then this is the grill for you. The Charbroil charcoal grill is about the same size as the classic Weber Kettle Grill, but with a more modern design and the same flat black and stainless steel look of the Dyna-Glo Premium Charcoal Grill.
580 square inches of the cooking surface is divided between 480 square inches of the primary cooking surface covered with a cast iron grate and 180 square inches of the secondary cooking surface covered by a porcelain coated grate. Like the Dyna-Glo Premium charcoal grill, the Char-Broil offers front access cast iron door for tending the fire with minimum heat loss as well as an adjustable fire pan to help maintain perfect heat control.
- Good size for small patios, small families or small gatherings
- Stylish design makes an attractive addition to outdoor living spaces
- Priced at about $100, makes it a very attractive grill at an attractive price
- Rolling cart offers prep space as well as a lower shelf for storage
- Small cooking surface might not be right for everyone
Whether you are looking for something small, light, and portable, or something that the whole (extended) family can enjoy, there is a charcoal grill just for you. From the traditional to the contemporary and stylish, whether you are looking for great looks or great features, there is a wide range of modern charcoal grills to choose from.